Tuesday

Research Part 3

Research using weblogs.macromedia

I have located a page that shows some examples of accessible Flash when using a screen reader.



http://www.eduplace.com
21/01/08



This sites home page has alt tags on it however once you enter the flash section of the site there aren’t any alt tags so I would assume at this point that this isn’t possible to achieve for buttons made in Flash. The list from which I found this site however claims the site is accessible and that a screen reader can be used on it. On a quick look into roll over alt tags I found an article and tutorial on how to do this at



http://www.tutorio.com/tutorial/flash-rollover-alt-text-or-captions 21/01/08



This site explains how alt tags are possible to use with a flash file and the example contained in the document shows how the alt tag can be style to match the design of the page which is something I like the idea of.



Looking further than alt tags I wanted to find out how accessible Adobe Flash is as I have set myself the goal of making my site in line with W3C Guidelines 1.0 and so it is important that this is possible.



I have located this document



http://www.adobe.com/resources/accessibility/best_practices/bp_fp.html



which has been issued by Adobe themselves who clearly have made a concerted effort to make their software contemporary.



So in summary I have found that Adobe Flash offers me as a designer the opportunity to create something quite extraordinary and spectacular in terms of design but in addition it also offers the ability to create sites that are accessible. What I would imagine is that it would be difficult to achieve both a truly original interactive site that is also inline with all or most of the accessibility guidelines.



What I hope to achieve is something that can meet the guidelines but also be more than just a standard site in terms of design.

No comments: